Thoughts, Words, Ideas

Thoughts, Words, Ideas

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Conversation...Opening Up the Lines of Communication


I remember the typewriter - electric with backspace erase was the one to have for those writing assignments in comparative literature classes. I remember having to feed scantron sheets to write the code for a nutritional analysis and dietetics class. If one small comma was missed, you had to re-write everything and then feed it all back into the computer. Lots of time was wasted in those computer labs.

Fast forward to today. Technology is at our fingertips - computers, laptops, ipads, itouches, youtube, widgets, gadgets, facebook, myspace, social networking, wikipedia, online databases and encyclopedias - the list goes on and on. As a math teacher, I want to engage students and help them build a solid infrastructure of knowledge in order for them to succeed later on in their math courses. Math builds upon itself and once the mortar is put down, you can lay the tile work. The tiles can be laid sequentially in a linear fashion, geometrically in a random pattern or in a beautiful mosaic. However it is done, the end result is spectacular and will serve them well in the years ahead. Math is everywhere and is needed in all walks of life; however, the challenge with young students is to show them how math applies now in their lives. Technology in the classroom can help with this endeavor.


How will I do it? How will I be able to stay up to date and knowledgeable about the technology that will be available to me? For me, the answer is simple - Keep my ears to the ground and my eyes open. Stay connected to my students. Get to know them and find out by observation and asking questions what is new, interesting, challenging. Students often know before you and will love to share what is out there on the computer. Be willing to try and experiment and do not be close minded. I am willing to accept new thoughts, ideas, to take a risk and step out of the box to learn and I have to be hungry to learn. If I can show my students my hunger for knowledge, perhaps they too will be hungry. The sky is the limit.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! You've clearly done this before or are brave in experimenting :)
    I love your point about having students show you the newest of the new. You're so right, and it hadn't occurred to me- what a great way to connect with students, let them be the teacher and learn a new skill all at once.
    Thanks for the great idea.
    -Cait Evans

    ReplyDelete